Saturday, August 14, 2010

[SOLVED] The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014).

If you want the short answer scroll to the bottom.

BACKSTORY
I had a Iphone 3GS with the newer boot rom and jailbroken on 3.1.3. I decided that I wanted to upgreade to 4.0.2 and jailbreak it again but alas as of this post there is no jailbreak for 4.0.2. So I upgraded to 4.0.2 anyways via Itunes. I then discovered that you can downgrade your iphone to 3.1.3 or 4.0 or 4.0.1 IF AND ONLY IF you saved your shsh blobs via Cydia, thankfully I had, so this is what I did.


THE PROCESS
So I followed koi2881's guide to downgrading from 4.0.2 on youtube. I downloaded Tiny Umbrealla and the firmware.

Tiny Umbrella makes it so that iTunes communicates with the Cydia SHSH server and not the itunes server (it can also download your shsh blobs from Cydia) and the firmware is the software package you want to downgrade to, 3.1.3, 4.0., 4.1..etc.

PROBLEM 1
When I "Shift-Clicked" the restore button and I didn't see the firmware in the folder I downloaded it to, I had to rename the zip files to .IPSW instead of .ZIP, problem solved.

PROBLEM 2
When I opened the firmware I wanted to load via itunes, it said, "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An Unknown error occured (3014)." It seems to me that Tiny Umbrella was not doing its job. I looked at the host file located at "C:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc" and at the bottome I saw "127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com". It appears to me that apple was being redirected to my host computer and that's not correct. So after reading Suariks page on shsh blobs, i correctly changed the host file to say "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". Problem solved, this also eliminated the need for Tiny Umbrella.

PROBLEM 3
This time after selecting the firmware package to open, it said, "Error 3014". I turns out i put a # mark in front of the ip address in the host file, dont do that, that's bad. Removed # mark and all is well.

After that everything went smoothly.

SHORT ANSWER:

  • Open notepad as administrator
  • Select File open and go to: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host
  • insert the following at the bottom of the file: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
  • start iphone in restore mode (turn if off and hold the circle button).
  • Open Itunes and shift click "restore"
  • Select the firmware version you want to downgrade to
  • After the firmware upgrade you'll all your stuff unless you restore a backup.
  • if you want to jailbreak go to jailbreakme.com from you iphone

14 comments:

  1. I am having trouble with step 2 (Select File open and go to: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host) I cant seem to find the file. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated. I subscribed to your Youtube channel :) Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey how do i know if saved my shsh bolbs on2 cydia, i get the error 3002

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chocodile2 Connect your Iphone to you computer, open TinyUmbrella, select advanced, then select the device/version you think you may have saved, then under request from select cydia, now click "save my shsh" at the top.

    If cydia has it, it will pull it from the server if not it will tell you that it isn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMFG it says access denied when I tried to replace the host file

    ReplyDelete
  5. the host file, do you actually add another line of 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com or replace it?

    i did every steps, but still got 3014. what am i supposed to do? please help. T.T thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =) thank u....... have some trouble understanding before...... but i finally figured out what you meant~ =) no more error for meeeeeeee~~~thx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am facing the same prob..tried all your steps..Damn Plzz help !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks dude! This helped - After going back and reading the line entry instructions in the hosts document, i double checked my formatting by opening hosts in wordpad instead of notepad (which shows paragraph settings) - found out that i added the gs.apple info on the same line as another entry - corrected it and its updating as i type this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does NOT work, I did a similar thing with the same apple address did NOT work. Thanks for nothing, I'm still stuck on shitty 4.1 on 3GS with crappy no signal. Thanks a lot! Not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, you saved my life. I sold my iPhone 3GS because i have bought the 4, but i erased all info and with that the phone became useless. I already knew about the process, in fact i already made a few times, but with my phone didn't work. I was the IP address that was wrong. Thanks and sorry about the bad english.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks man, u rock!!
    do you have any ideas on how to fix the shutter on my 3gs? pos wont open. the first time it happened i jailbroke it again and it worked. one day later it got stuck again and jailbreaking it didnt work anymore. running 4.1 software. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still stuck man, it seems everyone assumes that they know what you mean when you say copy and paste this (74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com) in note pad.Where exactly do you paste it? You dont really say, and where when you try to save it it wont let you? I am getting so frustrated with these error messages.

    ReplyDelete